Tuesday 18 April 2017

2017: My alcohol-free year

April 18th today, 108th day without a drug that I'd become accustomed to since the age of 12.

I was a regular drinker, never a drunk, just a guy who liked an occasional beer or glass of wine. But I had been curious for years as to what would happen if I just didn't drink alcohol anymore. What would it do to my mental/physical state? I knew it would save me money, but that wasn't the driver. I wanted to feel how a non-drinker felt.

To be fair, when I turned 65, I started to look at guys older than me who'd been caning the booze for years, and I didn't want to end up like that. My Grandad made it to 99 so I wanted to enjoy the next 34 years!

So how's it going? What difference has it made?

After a few weeks, I felt as though I was emerging from a cloud, a mental haze that I'd been stuck in for decades. But now, after months, I'm beginning to ask myself... Where am I in that cloud? 
Am I near the outer edge yet, or does it carry on getting better and better? Am I yet at the point where I can feel what it's like to be a non-drinker? I really don't know!

My weight loss seemed to have stabilised, lost about a stone and a half, which I'm pleased with.

I dream a lot more, and they're a lot clearer, luckily no nightmares, just pleasant and weird stuff!

My memory recall has improved for sure, and I find learning new stuff a lot easier.

Probably the best bit, I don't think about it as often, the habit has worn off, and yes, it was a 'habit', developed over years.

I sleep so deeply now that I find waking up much harder, but once I'm there, the day feels great.

Will I ever drink alcohol again? Still not sure on that one! I'll finish this year off, and then at least I'll know what it's like to be a 'non-drinker', and if that's a place I want to stay.

If you're thinking of giving up alcohol, for a month, a year or maybe for good, here's a great support site https://www.oneyearnobeer.com 

But first read https://thisnakedmind.com, because until you truly want to give up, it will not be possible. 





No comments:

Post a Comment