Saturday 7 January 2017

PSA testing for all men over 50 is essential

Today I had the PSA test I should have had in November 2016. I didn't want to risk that it might be bad and spoil our Christmas holiday to India; but there was another reason. For the past 6 years, I've had the test every May and November (6 monthly). 
I wanted to switch to annual testing, so it made sense that as from this year, I would have a good Christmas, and then go for my PSA in January; just the once in 2017. 
To my relief, again the result was 'zero'. Now I can forget this for another year, and leave behind all the stress of the 6 monthly PSA test.
I'm happy to hear that my brother Paul is still in the clear, though 4 years behind me, this is a good indication of his future chances. My other brother Andre is having regular PSA tests, and is now just before the age that both Paul and I developed cancer. So far, all indications are that he's still not in danger, and long may that last.
Regular PSA testing for all men over the age of 50 is the best chance you have of avoiding advanced prostate cancer. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment