Monday 11 November 2013

South Africa, yes, we are here...

And it's stunning in Melville, Johannesburg. Read this article Click here written by John Simpson for the Daily Telegraph; he sums it up far better than I could.

I've just managed to get on line so will get some photos up later this week, but just now I've come to realise what a broken country England is. We are screwed with taxes on everything, everywhere. Steak and chips here will set you back £5, and that's a big steak! Large beer, half the UK price, as is fuel. A TV license £12, electrical goods half price. You can watch all the English premiership games in the pub, and almost everything costs less than half the UK price. I took my bag of washing to the laundry today, I pick it up at 5pm, washed, dried, ironed and folded for £4. I could go on forever…Oh yes, there's a Polish deli at the market!

I will go back to the UK occasionally, for the NHS if it's still there, or just to remind me of how bad our once great nation has become. But unless something very strange happens, Jozi is where you'll find me for a long while to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment